CAMPBELL COUNTY HISTORICAL & GENEALOGICAL SOCIETY
REGULAR MEETING MINUTES
7:00 pm, Thursday August 9, 2018
CALL TO ORDER
o The August meeting was held at the Ft. Thomas Mess Hall.
o Erik Geiman presented a talk on the Altamont Hotel that was located in Ft. Thomas.
Glen Elsener reported that we have a balance on hand of $5787.97.
Jan Lester reported that 257 members have paid for 2018.
Jan Lester reported that the September issue of the newsletter will be out at the end of August.
Email and Correspondence
1. The Kentucky History and Genealogical Conference takes place at the Kenton County Library in Erlanger on August 10 and 11 and is free to participants.
2. The Silver Grove Community reunion will take place at Chief Sayers Park from 2:00 until 9:00 on September 8. CCHG&S will have a booth at the event and will be open from 2:00 – 5:00.
3. The Pendleton County historical society will be celebrating their 25th anniversary on September 15 from 10:00 – 2:00 at the Fryer House Museum.
4. The Campbell County Library in Ft. Thomas will host a presentation by Holocaust survivor Dr. Al Miller on Friday, September 7 at 7:00 PM.
There was nothing new to report, History Day 2019 will be held on March 23 at the Erlanger branch of the Kenton County Library.
Kay James has volunteered to head up our cemetery project. She will be available to take over the project in December.
Highland Middle School has requested a historical presentation. Ken Reis and Jan Lester will present to approximately ninety children from the school. The topic will be Campbell County and Ft. Thomas History.
David Leitch Cabin
President Steve Battistone is in the process of trying to find a piece of property for relocating the Leitch Cabin. Steve is currently pursuing property in Wilder that is owned by the Kentucky Transportation Department and will be meeting with officials to discuss the plan.
Gifts and Donations
Richard McCormick reported on gifts and donations received over the last month including Newport Steel Mill Letters and 1908 Payroll Ledger, Speers Hospital personnel book from 1972 and a book donated by Art Miller titled “Harry McCormick His Family and Ancestry”.
Glenn Elsener and Shirlene Jensen are in the process of reformatting the society’s Hayfield Precinct book for reprinting.
President Steve Battistone asked for a member to volunteer to organize and index the societies Map collection and a volunteer was forthcoming.
1. Evergreen Cemetery - Mike Stull reported that the next cemetery cleanup day is scheduled for September 22, beginning at 1:00. The memorial service that was scheduled for September 15 has been cancelled.
2. The Campbell County Senior picnic is scheduled for Thursday, September 20.
3. Steve Battistone reported that Mary Guiduli, who is very experienced at writing Grant Applications, has volunteered to assist CCHG&S apply for grants.
UPCOMING MEETINGS / EVENTS
Wilder – Essay Contest Winners to present their articles
Wilder – Lost Northern Kentucky presented by Dave Schroeder and Robert Schrage.
Wilder – Veterans Celebration
Wilder – Holiday Celebration
Wilder – St. Francis (Dayton) Cemetery Rennovation.
Member News – Nothing new to report
There being no further business, the meeting was adjourned.
Dan Christen (Secretary)
Return to Minutes Index