CAMPBELL COUNTY HISTORICAL & GENEALOGICAL SOCIETY
REGULAR MEETING MINUTES
7:00 pm, Thursday September 13, 2018
CALL TO ORDER
o The September meeting was held at the Wilder City Building and winners of the Dr. Frank Steely essay contest presented their articles to members. The winning students were presented with cash prizes and a framed certificate of achievement.
o Prior to the start of the business meeting president Steve Battistone handed out a list of potential future meeting topics to society members and asked everyone to rate the topics and recommend possible presenters. The forms will be used as a guide in scheduling activities for future meetings.
Glen Elsener reported that we have a balance on hand of $5584.59
Jan Lester reported that 264 members have paid for 2018.
Jan Lester reported that the January issue of the newsletter will be out at the end of December and will include the membership renewal form. Anyone wishing to submit articles should do so by the beginning of December.
Email and Correspondence
1. The Silver Grove Community reunion was postponed due to weather and will take place at Chief Sayers Park from 2:00 until 9:00 on September 29. CCHG&S will have a booth at the event and will be open from 2:00 – 5:00.
2. The Pendleton County historical society will be celebrating their 25th anniversary on September 15 from 10:00 – 2:00 at the Fryer House Museum.
3. Smithsonian Magazine is hosting a museum day on Saturday, September 22. Free admission will be provided at participating museums.
4. The Wilder annual Bluegrass Festival takes place on September 15th beginning at 1:00 PM.
5. There will be a Patriot Memorial Marker Dedication Ceremony for Revolutionary War Soldier Private Daniel Goff on Saturday, September 29 beginning at 2:00 PM. Transportation to the site will be provided from the Florence Baptist Church beginning at 1:00 PM.
There was nothing new to report, History Day 2019 will be held on March 23 at the Erlanger branch of the Kenton County Library.
Ken reported that a grave stone has been found behind the Palm Gardens. The stone is dated 1915 and belonged to a Christian Brother who had worked at the St. Joseph Orphanage in Cold Spring. It is not known how the stone made its way to Alexandria since the Brother was originally buried in Cincinnati.
On September 12, Ken Reis gave a presentation to about 200 sixth grade students from Highland Middle School on the history of Campbell County. Topics included Pearl Bryan and the 1937 flood. Students were given an assignment to ask their parents or grandparents about the events discussed and report back to Ken with what they learned.
David Leitch Cabin
Steve Battistone met with Senator Will Schroeder to discuss the possibility of acquiring Kentucky Transportation property for relocating the Leitch cabin. At this time, they are not willing to let the property go because of unknowns with the current and future road projects.
Gifts and Donations
Richard McCormick reported on gifts and donations received over the last month including John Heck Family information, Silver Grove High School yearbooks and a USB drive that contains Silver Grove Yearbooks.
Glenn Elsener and Shirlene Jensen are in the process of reformatting the society’s Hayfield Precinct book for reprinting. The stone house section has been completed, the family history section has been expanded and the maps have been redone. Still remaining is completion of the glossary and the index. The revised publication will be approximately 70 pages in length.
Steve introduced Sharon Piccirllo who has volunteered to work on organizing the societies map collection.
Newport Utility Hookup Book
Steve reported that Raychel Kool has been working on digitizing the Newport Utility Hookup Book.
1. Evergreen Cemetery - Mike Stull reported that the next cemetery cleanup day is scheduled for September 22from 1:00 until 4:00 PM.
2. The Campbell County Senior picnic is scheduled for Thursday, September 20 from 11:00 until 4:00 at Pendry Park. CCH&GS will have a booth set up at the event again this year.
3. The society’s annual election of board members will take place at the November general membership meeting.
UPCOMING MEETINGS / EVENTS
Wilder – Lost Northern Kentucky presented by Dave Schroeder and Robert Schrage.
Wilder – Veterans Celebration and Board Member Elections
Wilder – Holiday Celebration
Wilder – St. Francis (Dayton) Cemetery Renovation.
Member News – Nothing new to report
There being no further business, the meeting was adjourned.
Dan Christen (Secretary)
Return to Minutes Index